Thursday, March 14, 2013

I Made Socks!

Okay, they're just tube socks, but I made them from yarn I spun myself. I started them weeks ago, maybe even a couple of months ago and then set them aside. Once I really got going, they were fast. I finished the first one this morning and the second one after supper tonight.

The pattern is a knit two, purl two rib, done on size 5 double pointed needles. To decrease for the toe, I knit two together, knit one until there were only six stitches left (two on each needle). I transferred them to two needles (three on each).

At that point, I found instructions on the internet for a Kitchener stitch done with knitting needles rather than a yarn needle. I'm not sure I did it right, but the toes are closed and I'm happy with them!

I'm one of those people who need plenty of practice when learning a new skill. And I have to take baby steps along the way* . I see making tube socks as a baby step to making "real socks". You know, the ones with heel flaps and gussets? Double pointed needles, you don't scare me anymore!


*Am I the only one who sees Bill Murray's face (from What About Bob?) when I hear the phrase "baby steps"?

No comments:

Post a Comment