Monday, November 8, 2010

My Boys Know Me So Well


My husband and son went to a Revolutionary War Reenactment in Camden, SC, on Saturday. They both know that I've been wanting to learn to spin, as in spin fiber into yarn (nothing to do with bicycles or exercising, silly reader). So what do you think they brought back for me? A top whorl drop spindle!


It's a really simple device that uses a shaft and a weight to spin and draw the fibers into yarn. I can't believe how much there is to know about spinning: types of spindles, length of fibers, thick vs. thin yarns and how to create each, how to make 2-ply yarn.


Okay, well, the device itself is simple, but getting it to create the yarn you want takes practice. My spindle came from a lady at the reenactment, along with her video and roving (the fiber prepared to spin). Her name is Renee Gillespie and her video makes it look easy and I think I can do it!


The picture above shows my drop spindle and the rather bumpy yarn I've spun so far. Oh, and if you're on my Christmas list, expect something "primitive" this year.

2 comments:

  1. I hope I'm on your Christmas list! I love that you're doing that. Here's a local place to get some alpaca should you so desire: http://www.purealpacayarn.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is this place, Poof? I smell homeschool field trip. Andrew is into this too.

    ReplyDelete