Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring Always Gets Busy Around Here

As usual, spring is a busy time. There's gardening to do (which has been on hold for a few days because of rain), schoolwork to finish, and right now I've got custom orders to fill for the Etsy shop.

My flower gardens are looking pretty good. This year I've added a few hostas and filled about eight containers with annuals, mostly pink ones. I've agonized over containers for a few years, trying to copy pictures in magazines and nursery catalogs. This time is different. I remembered a picture I saw a few years ago of my grandmother's country home. The porch was filled with containers of plants and the colors were gorgeous.

So, I decided to just buy loads of annuals and stick them in the pots I already have. I haven't followed any rules, just put in a bunch of flowers that I like. I'm happy with the result, When it stops raining, I'll take a picture for you.

How's spring shaping up for you? (Or fall, if you're below the equator!)

5 comments:

  1. I wish we were getting that rain! It's been teasing us for days with 10 drops here and 20 drops there but nothing measurable. I hope you'll post pictures of the containers as they fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the prettiest flowers I've seen were planted in old buckets, tin cans, baskets etc. I don't buy special pots for flowers. My favorite flower pots are old clay pots that my sister had before she passed away. Her daughters knew I loved clay pots and they gave them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a yard for a garden, but I like to plant little flowers around the base of our 1 tree. I can't wait to see the pics, I bet it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It went from 90 to 50 in the last couple days! Our daughter graduated from college Sunday and I was in a sleeveless dress and sandals and it was SO cold and windy! We were not expecting that! My garden is plodding along. I still have seeds and things to plant! We did raised beds this year. I like using repurposed "junk" containers like zinc buckets and feeders. (You can see pix on my blog) Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the southern comfort! My grandmother also loved to garden. She loved flowers. You inspired me to get some new plants for my front porch!

    ReplyDelete