Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February already?

It's February already?  There are two family birthdays this month, my husband and my older daughter, and I haven't done a thing to get ready.  My husband, Andy, is pretty happy with a nice dinner either at home or at a restaurant.  My daughter will be 23, so she is making plans with friends. 

It's been a mild winter so far and I noticed today that a few bulbs are starting to peek through in my garden.  I also saw some daffodils already in full bloom, just a few miles from home.  Goodness, spring is coming early!

On to fiber projects!

FO's
I have two finished objects this week!

The Ashton Shawlette
by Dee O'Keefe
Yarn--Gerschubie Fiber Arts, Cottage Sock in the Picot colorway
Needles--US 5, 3.75 mm

I love how this shawlette turned out.  It's my first attempt at a lace shawl and I wasn't sure if I would make it through, but here it is!  Most knitters know that blocking is nearly miraculous in it's ability to bring out the best in finished projects, especially lace, and this shawl proves it.

Pre-blocking:

Blocking:

Even Andy was impressed.  He's normally very polite when I show him my projects, but this time he "ooo-ed" and "ahhh-ed" quite a bit.  I wore it to church Sunday and he pointed it out to several people with a "Do you like Kay's shawl?  She made it."  Thanks, Sweetie!

Icy Water
by Muraka Mari
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Encore DK in colorways  515 and 256
Needles:  US size 4, 3.5 mm

I also finished a pair of mittens for my younger daughter.  It's a pretty colorwork pattern and should be very warm for Janie's small hands.  I haven't blocked them or taken a final picture.  If I can get them back from Janie, I'll take one. 

WIP's

I'm down to two current projects, finally!  The Ashton shawl and the mittens had both been hibernating since last fall and I'm glad to have them finished.  Now I can focus on the ones left on the needles and my spinning wheel. 

I'm still working on the Lawrence sweater, although it has taken a back seat this week.  I also started a pair of socks for me, in the same yarn as the ones I did for Janie.  We get to have matching socks!

My spinning has been slow but steady.  I started a pink/purple/white superwash braid a couple of months ago and just finished spinning the singles today.  I'm spinning it on my Louet Hatbox wheel, which is a very compact travel size wheel.  Now I need to set up to ply the yarn, hopefully into a three-ply.

Podcast Corner
One of the first podcasts I found was The Knitmore Girls.  This podcast is hosted by Jasmin and Gigi, a mother/daughter team.  They are charming and funny and I so enjoy hearing about their projects.  The podcast started in 2008 and has been going strong ever since.

Both Jasmin and Gigi are experienced knitters and I like knowing which projects they find challenging and which ones they can breeze through.  Their show segment "When Knitting Attacks" is a light-hearted look at the week's uncooperative knitting.  It's encouraging to know that even the best knitters sometimes make mistakes.

They also talk about spinning and sewing, as well as reviewing books and other fiber art supplies, like yarn and needles.  The Knitmores can be counted on to give their honest opinions and recommendations, both good and bad.

Check out the Knitmore Girls! 

No comments:

Post a Comment