Monday, July 19, 2010

Christmas Gifts

Yes, I know it's July, but I'm trying to come up with some ideas for things to make as gifts this year. (If you are on my usual gift list, click away now.)

I'm considering something made from vintage fabric from my mother's and grandmother's stashes. I love using things that they chose, in some cases, decades ago and just never got around to using. Those are the things that bring me closer to them and to my memories of them.

When I was a little girl, I sat on the floor in my mother's sewing room, playing with my dolls while she worked her magic with a needle and thread. I also remember my grandmother learning to sew. My cousin was learning to sew and my grandmother refused to have her granddaughter know how to so something she herself couldn't do.

I miss my mother and grandmother very much, but I see the future when my children play on the floor under my work table as I struggle to figure out a pattern. I hope they will have memories as sweet as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment