Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Overton Window Review


I finished reading The Overton Window by Glenn Beck (yes, the radio/TV guy). It's Beck's first thriller novel and not a bad effort. It's an easy summer read and worth taking along on vacation.


If you know anything about Beck's ideas and opinions on current events, the book builds on much of what he's said on his show in the past couple of years. So, if you're a fan of his, you'll find much that sounds familiar in the plot of The Overton Window. If you're decidedly NOT a fan, you'll likely see a wild conspiracy theorist run amok.


I'm generally libertarian in my political views. Meaning, I don't much care what adults do, as long as it doesn't get in the way of other adults doing what they want to do. So, let's get this over with--I usually agree with Beck.


Having said that, I'm not thrilled with this thriller. What's there is, is pretty good. It's what's not there that bothered me. When I don't care much what happens to the main characters, there's not enough character development. Now that may be my girlie-girl side coming out; I like Jane Austen, after all. In The Overton Window, I wanted to know way more about the main evil bad guy, Gardner, as well as Molly's mother. Both characters had potential for fascinating stories, but I just didn't get enough.


As to the plot itself, it's a fascinating weaving of actual events into a worst-case-scenario. Do read the afterword to find out which plot points are based on reality.


To sum up, it's good for a first thriller. I hope Beck continues to write novels; I think he'll get better and better at it.


So, is it paranoid? Maybe. But hey, just cause you're paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment