Monday, March 7, 2011

24 Hours of Dulcimer Music or My Weekend at the Craft Fair

I spent the past weekend at the the Carolina Craftsmen Spring Classic, 10 am to 8 pm on Friday, 10-6 on Saturday, and 11-5 on Sunday. A total of 24 hours. With dulcimer music playing in the background.

Don't get me wrong, I really like dulcimer music. But by Sunday night I was ready for a change...and I got it. The Gilmore Enterprises people, the nice folks that run the show, clearly demonstrated their experience and sense of humor. As soon as the doors closed to the public, the music changed to the William Tell Overture. That's the one from The Lone Ranger. It got us in the right mood to get our booths taken down and packed up quick.

Before the Big Packing Up, I took some photos of the booths of fellow crafters. I'm always amazed at the clever ways people display their creations. Here's a display from Troy and Kathi who make beautiful yard signs. They customize the sign for you at the show, with your name or house number. Don't you love their set up?



Another amazing artist I met is Joe Foley. He is a welder who gave up industrial work for making flowers. He tells customers that his flowers are easy to transplant and very cold hardy. His business is called Steel Blooming and the flowers are gorgeous. Here's a link to a television interview with Joe--WCHS interview.
Joe's display is quite basic, not even his own side walls, but clearly it's not necessary. Joe's flowers speak for themselves and I was blessed to be just across the aisle from him. I got to admire his work for three solid days. Aren't you jealous?



Stay tuned! More artists tomorrow!

1 comment: