Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

On the wall behind me is a beautiful wooden case, holding the flags presented to me at my father's graveside. It has been a bit over four years since then, and I still miss him every day. My father was a National Guardsman for 40 years, 38 of those years he was full time.
I learned a lot from my dad, like how to drive a stick shift and "always bring a sweater". My father also taught me about patriotism. Three things stand out in my mind:

1. Stand up when the National Anthem is sung.
2. Obey the rules when displaying the U.S. flag.
3. Show respect for those who serve in our military. They're the good guys.

Thanks, Daddy, and thank you to all those who have served and those who continue to serve. You are my heroes.

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet and thoughtful post. Thank you to you, too. Our military spouses and children deserve our gratitude--they make a lot of sacrifices for our country also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so touched... Happy Independence Day! Your Daddy would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you Dad taught you about patriotism. What a wonderful tribute to him and others who serve our country:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories of your Dad. One more thing, put your hand over your heart for the flag and the anthem. I'm amazed at how many people don't do those things anymore. We all learned it in school, back in the day but I guess that's not politically correct now.

    ReplyDelete